Change
Namecheap.com - Cheap domain name registration, renewal and transfers - Free SSL Certificates - Web Hosting

Welcome to GadgetBit

Welcome to GadgetBit. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of GadgetBit by signing in or creating an account. You can even sign in with your Twitter or Facebook account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
  • Download files attached to the forum.

Photo

Newly found Skype exploit can reveal user's IP address

Skype Exploit Microsoft

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Creaky

Creaky

Administrator

• Administrators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts
If you are using Skype, you might want to be aware of a newly discovered exploit that could be used by other Skype users to discover your remote and local IP addresses. A post on the skype-open-source blog site (via News.com) reveals the details of this exploit.

The process is unfortunately pretty simple. First, a person can download a hacked version of SkypeKit and then change a few registry keys. Then all that person has to do is try to add a new Skype contact name in the program. The IP addressees are revealed when you click on a Skype user's information card. You don't even have to send a contact confirmation notice to that user, which means he or she will be unaware that you are viewing their IP addresses.

This method could be used to find out a Skype user's country and city, along which ISP he or she is using. It could also be used by hackers to go after a particular PC. However, it only seems to work if a Skype user is online at the time. We have contacted Skype for comment on this exploit and if they have plans to fix it.

Source: Neowin

neverforget98

neverforget98

Gadgeteer

• Members

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCanada
I am always on Skype, but I usually don't add random people, and my profile is pretty secure. I don't think I will have to worry too much about my IP address getting "found".

Sugarhill

Sugarhill

Gadgeteer Senior

• Members

• PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I've never had reason to use Skype and now I have reason not to use it at all. I've always said that I would get my mother an XBox with Kinect and talk to her through that before Skyping. I see that I made the right decision. Thanks for the warning, Creaky.

youredthiswrong

youredthiswrong

Gadgeteer Wise One

• Members

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
If someone can get your IP they can't do much with it... but I know some people that would freak out if someone knew what city they lived in.

Thank goodness for dynamic IP addresses and ISP's that keep servers in different cities in my country. You can have my IP, but you could never find me :P

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Skype, Exploit, Microsoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Namecheap.com - Cheap domain name registration, renewal and transfers - Free SSL Certificates - Web Hosting