1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to GadgetBit!

We are a community of technology enthusiats.

If you are already a registered member then you can login here

If you are new to the site then why not join up? It will only take a couple of minutes to register, by doing so all adverts will be removed from the site. You can register here or you can use your Facebook or Twitter account.

Now There Are More Internet Addresses Than Stars in the Universe

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by youredthiswrong, Jun 9, 2012.

1. youredthiswrong

youredthiswrong New Member

Long story short: After this week’s switchover to a new protocol called IPv6, there are a whole lot of IP addresses on the Internet.

How many more?

Just one day after the world wide web made a permanent and forever change on Wednesday, CNN reported the Internet now has 340 trillion trillion trillion unique addresses. That’s 340 undecillion.

We knew the switch from IPv4 to IPv6 would make a bunch of new addresses available. But this is a growth of 79 octillion (billion billion billion), according to the report.

But we have no frames of reference for a number that large, so let’s put it into context for a moment.
    340 trillion trillion trillion is:Source: http://mashable.com/2012/06/07/now-there-are-more-internet-addresses-than-stars-in-the-universe/

Holy crap!
  2. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1 New Member

I don't know if I can believe that. Given the fact that man has never explored the universe in its entirety, saying there are more net addresses than stars is extremely premature.
  3. NewDCD

NewDCD New Member

What Dexter said. We should say that we have more addresses than KNOWN stars in the universe. Not to mention the fact that the universe is constantly expanding.
  4. youredthiswrong

youredthiswrong New Member

They're all estimations, there's obviously no way to know exactly how many stars there are in the entire Universe as its dimension still remains unknown.

5. Epicfied

Epicfied New Member

That's insane and as said above, there's no way to know how accurate that is.
    We don't know how many stars are in the Universe.
    However, the number of IP adresses is acurate in the way they described it in numbers.
    It's almost unbelievable.
  6. neverforget98

neverforget98 New Member

That's freaking crazy. I knew there was a lot of people/addresses on the internet, but I didn't think there was that many!