Apple's MobileMe closes down for good

Creaky

Admin
As expected Apple has today closed down its MobileMe service, allowing it to focus on providing services by MobileMe's successor, iCloud.

The company announced last year it would close its MobileMe service that provided Apple subscribers with amongst other services email, file storage and calendar facilities. However, it remained open for existing subscribers until today providing them with the option to export their information to iCloud, or download a local backup if they prefer.

From today though, users are now met with a "Closed" page when attempting to login to the MobileMe website. However, it appears that the service isn't yet being completely removed - while access to the MobileMe services is now unavailable, for a "limited time" Apple will still allow users who haven't yet migrated to iCloud the option to move. Find my iPhone - while also available in iCloud - will remain accessible for limited time through the MobileMe portal.

With iCloud not offering feature parity to MobileMe, users can also download their images and files still, while iWeb Sites are no longer on offer with iCloud.

Those switching from MobileMe to iCloud will benefit from Apple's introductory offer of 20GB of free storage until September on iCloud (the normal service comes with just 5GB of data free). However, after the 30th of September it will drop back to the standard 5GB of storage.
iCloud offers a whole host of new features over MobileMe, including iTunes in the Cloud, Photo Stream that syncs all images between iOS, Mac and Windows devices, Documents in the Cloud, Automatic downloads when apps and books and music is purchased and backup and restore of iOS devices. Find My Friends, a tool that allows users to locate those they know on a map, is also a new feature of iCloud.

dexterlablab1

I don't know, I feel Apple may be a bit behind the times when it comes to the Cloud world. Their best bet is to keep up the "i" milking that they've been doing.

QuatreHiead

[font="Arial""]I don't know how I feel about this one. For me the concept of the MobileMe madness was very confusing. Around the same time they introduced the iCloud, which I think did follow the concept of "the Cloud" that PC had been using. I'm not certain what they are hoping to accomplish. I can barely figure out how to work the iCloud the way I desire to, much less whether I own a MoblieMe account and transfer everything over. Perhaps it is just me, but in this supposed campaign of simplicity and the ingenuity of things being straightforward and adaptable for the novice user; it appears to have become more and more complicated. I hated using iTunes, now it is even worse with all the apps back and forth between my iPod touch and iPad. I can't even conceive of what to make of sharing music between the iPod touch, iPad and iPod classic I own. Then attempts to use the website to sort it all out are nothing but helpful. I'm not sure with all the options and changes they make I can even direct them on how they can help me at this point. Needless to say if I ever get around to my summer goal of organizing all my devices to the way I want, this will be a chore for certain.[/font][font="Arial""][/font]

Creaky

Admin
Never used there cloud service, never used any cloud service come to think of it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.