Do people actually read tweets?

youredthiswrong

As a Twitter user, I rarely read what's in my Home page. I only follow a couple people and I still get tweet after tweet filled with nonsense. This is why I believe Twitter is not really the best way to advertise a site. What about you?

OmarFW

Just look at popular twitter users like Notch, the creator of Minecraft. Everything he puts on his twitter is spread throughout syndications, news articles and message boards.

But people mostly just use twitter to stalk their favorite celebrities. I suppose I could get a lot of followers if I really tried but I doubt many people would really pay attention to what I put up.

Creaky

Admin
I've got 3twitter accounts at the moment, one personal and the others for here and another site. My personal one I use for quick chats with friends and following some very random people. The other accounts are fed by rss feeds from here and another site.

I don't actually read a lot of the tweets though.

NewDCD

Pretty sure there are people who read tweets, and others that don't. It all depends on their disposition at the moment.

mudrock

[sup]I am the same way. I never read the tweets on my homepage, I would rather just go to other people's pages to get updates about them. Maybe it's the fact that I don't have many followers on twitter to begin with. I don't like the flow everyone's tweets that you follow on the homepage mixed up. I do find myself constantly following and unfollowing lots of people though.[/sup]

RuthieB

I don't read every tweet because I'm following about 800 people. There's just no way to actually read all of them. What I've done is use the "List" function to categorize folks that I follow and followers. I go to twitter about twice a day and check my Celebrities and News lists and quickly scan for anything interesting.

Then I go to just one of my other specialty lists and look for something to reply/comment/retweet on. I rotate which list I'm focusing on just to make sure I interact. That helps my twitter rating for my sponsored tweet ads, which doesn't pay a whole lot, but it's incredibly easy.

QuatreHiead

[font="Arial""]I understand how Twitter seems absolutely useless and frustrating. I think it is one of the more difficult social media devices to relate to and resonate with in a way. It gives an air of simplicity, however rarely does it work in practice. Most post end up seeming rather useless and you skim past them. However as mentioned above, if you follow someone or an organization you're particularly interested in then things change. I realize there can be a lot of traffic on Twitter so I only update an post occasionally. It's like how some people have nearly a play by play on their facebook pages. I don't understand with 800 some odd friends on facebook how you can possibly think you actually know everyone and can keep track of them to any extent. [/font]
[font="Arial""][/font]
[font="Arial""]So I limit how often I post and leave it to only very important, exciting, sad, disappointing, or silly and funny things people may be actually interested in. I think at least twice about a post before I bother with Twitter. Usually that site I only post if I believe it would be a random funny offhand comment someone would get a nice giggle out of. [/font]
[font="Arial""][/font]
[font="Arial""]In general, I split my social media sources to be more efficient. I have all most close friends preferred avenues of use. I have a select handful that prefers to use Twitter, those are the ones I pay most attention to. There is the occasional Twitter group I follow because it is a hobby and an easy access for new information. For example, I like quick access to new quotes. So I follow a couple of Twitter pages that regularly posts different types of quotes. Those are easy and fun to go through when I have a couple minutes of time like on a bus ride or waiting for a friend at a restaurant to show.[/font]
[font="Arial""][/font]

dexterlablab1

At first, I didn't think people gave a hoot about tweets. But slowly I noticed with my own Twitter, I can tell people were starting to actually READ them on account of the type of activity I was getting on my actual site. So if it's true for a small twitter like mine, it's more than likely the case with others as well.

QuirkyJessi

Yep, I definitely do. If I had no interest in reading what they had to say, I certainly wouldn't bother following them. I don't read EVERY tweet or even every day. If there's someone who is filling my feed with trash, though, then I simply unfollow them and move on.

neverforget98

New Members
I usually skim and scan through tweets and when I see something by Tumblr or a good friend or something, then I stop to read it, unless it seems really interesting, then that's an exception too. Otherwise, I usually don't. I used to be following a lot of people (hundreds), so it was harder, now that I am only following just over 100, it is a lot easier to read all the tweets if I want to.

Epicfied

I'm not a huge Twitter person. I sign in once every few months, if that.
I do have a friend who is though. She reads tweets posted by certain friends.
I think that's aobut it... and of course, things she's tagged in.

Grimnir

I read tweets from a few select people, basically. Mostly authors I like whose tweets are always entertaining.

When I first started using Twitter, I tried to follow everyone who followed me. Big mistake! I've tried going through my list and removing people, but a majority of the tweets on my feed are still things I'm just not interested in and gloss over.

From what I've seen, it's the same for most people. there are one or two people whose tweets they always read and respond to, but everything else is just noise.

aditk8149

I think yes, people do read those tweets and by those retweet thing, we can get the expected reply!

Celebrities, as I observed, find a perfect way to communicate with fans via their tweets and retweets!

ACSAPA

I only follow 11 people and 5 of them are video game companies. I read Tweets to see what Hideo Kojima did when he was in London, and what Rockstar is planning for Grand Theft Auto 5, or how Sega threw Sonic the Hedgehog a birthday party.

I do read Tweets but they're specific to my interest in video games. I'm not interested in reading what some random girl ate for lunch.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.