1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Welcome to GadgetBit!

We are a community of technology enthusiats.

If you are already a registered member then you can login here

If you are new to the site then why not join up? It will only take a couple of minutes to register, by doing so all adverts will be removed from the site. You can register here or you can use your Facebook or Twitter account.

Facebook will be dead in 8 years

Discussion in 'General Software' started by youredthiswrong, Jun 6, 2012.

1. youredthiswrong

youredthiswrong New Member

Source: http://tech.blorge.c...within-8-years/

The problem will Facebook going into the mobile market is that they probably have nothing new to offer and there already are enough operative systems and manufacturers. They'll drop as a social network and they'll fail as a Google successor. At least Zuckerberg will have enough to live out of...

2. Martee100

Martee100 New Member

Well, this may seem to be true but you never know what Facebook could come up with. They recently released news about their App store and they are still working hard.

3. NewDCD

NewDCD New Member

I doubt Facebook would sink on such a short time. It's only the biggest and most recognized social network there is. Brand recognition goes a looooooong way for businesses.

4. youredthiswrong

What about Friendster and MySpace? They were pretty big back then too...

5. OmarFW

OmarFW New Member

Short time? I see it falling out as the dominant platform even sooner than 8 years. Myspace was the biggest one not too long ago. That switch is inevitable and many people are already dissatisfied with facebook's changes and privacy infringing business practices. They're only kept there because it's where everyone is currently, but that will change. It won't take 8 years either.

6. NewDCD

NewDCD New Member

Ah, I believe you're not taking demographics into consideration. Take into account the following: myspace was mostly populated by teens and young adults, which are by nature, more tech-savvy than the previous generations that came before them. Now consider the amount of 40+ year old people in Facebook. Compare the number of grandmothers in FB with the amount of grandmothers MySpace had at any time.

I believe a good example of this is that one blog post that was talking about something facebook-related...a lot of people just typed "facebook" into their address bar, and that was the first link to hit via google search. It was a freaking blog, and people were complaining about the new "changes"! Why is it red, where do I log in now...yet it had nothing to do with Facebook.

For people like you and me, Facebook might stop being the go-to place, but for the older generations that don't really know tech, as well as the people not interested in learning that basic tech knowledge...well, that's why I see it difficult for Facebook to stop being dominant. It's kind of the same deal as with video games. The core gamers are leaving Nintendo consoles behind as their needs are not met by them, but the casual market has flocked to them thanks to their crappy singing and dancing games, that you wouldn't imagine Nintendo ever losing a console war again. They just have the biggest market now.

7. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1 New Member

I won't agree or disagree with the 8 year assesment this analyst has going. But I do see Facebook falliing off eventually. The same way Myspace did eventually.

Eventually, something will come along and take away Facebook's thunder. Just like they did with Myspace.

8. Creaky

Creaky Admin

Facebook will disappear one day, wouldn't like to say when though. Even when it does go I'm sure there will be something to take its place.

9. youredthiswrong

@NewDCD: That's a good analysis. If everyone on Facebook was tech-savvy, I think they'd have migrated over to Google+... only that's not what happened. Facebook's monopoly is bigger than MySpace's back then, and they have a much larger database, which is the most important thing in a social network; not to mention that Facebook is famous not only in the US and the UK, unlike MySpace.

Still, not everything lasts forever, and they've been heading downhill for a long time, not just when they decided to go public.

10. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1 New Member

NewDCD's assesment is very similar to the Windows vs Linux debate. Where Facebook takes Windows place and Linux would take Google + place.

11. youredthiswrong

I think Linux was never as advertised as Google+. There are so many people that haven't even heard of it! Plus, it has the reputation of being intended for developers and advanced users only, and not everyone's like that.

12. Diablo2

Diablo2 New Member

The issue with social networks is that they rely on whats trendy and hip; this is their main fuel. Since people have a rather short attention span, they'll easily move on to the next shiny object as soon as it emerges. However, I do give Mark and company credit for making FB last this long now, with no signs of going away. Nevertheless, going public with their IPO was a mistake, as it won't last more than 5 to 10 years, in my opinion.

13. Epicfied

Epicfied New Member

Facebook is just another social site. Just like Myspace and other social sites that were popular, it's going to get replaced too.
    This seriously doesn't surprised me.

14. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1 New Member

Well not to add insult to injury, but Facebook's popularity mostly comes from Facebook games. And Facebook games have been taking a serious nosedive. So much so that Zynga's stock is getting low fast.

At first I wouldn't have believed in this Facebook dead in 8 years theory. I expect it to die yes, but the Zynga issue sure does add fuel to the already growing fire.

15. Diablo2

Diablo2 New Member

The one positive thing that can keep it alive is the way so many sites have implemented a "Facebook Login" option to place comments, and so on. This is huge, as it allows FB to virtually leech onto so many businesses for the long term.

16. NewDCD

NewDCD New Member

Good call. Facebook integration is freaking widespread. Another reason I see Facebook still being strong for a while longer.

Pretty sure they realize they could vanish off the map eventually, so features like that secure their place for a bit longer.

17. androidgeek

androidgeek New Member

Technology changes rapidly. Its very hard to say which will get plus & which will minus.
    Anything new & unique feature may lead any type trend in Internet Industry. Facebook rise is the example of this.

18. mudrock

mudrock New Member

Of course it will be dead in 8 years. So will twitter and most of the other big sites. There are some 10 year olds right now outside on the playground who wil be building the next best thing in a few years. Just like everything else, people will lose interest and will want to use something else.

19. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1 New Member

People have to know the difference between dead and obscure.

People like to say Myspace is dead. But it's not dead, it's just in obscurity right now. Myspace isn't what it once was. But it does have 25 million users strong.

20. jmsben12

jmsben12 New Member

Hopefully it dies and is replaced by a better social media platform that cares about it's user's privacy.