How music has changed over the last decades

youredthiswrong

If you were born in the 70s/80s, your teenage years may have been filled with real quality music. U2, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, Nirvana, just to mention a few bands of those times.

They made real music. It seems that "musicians" these days have really forgotten what songs are about. It's not about making a hit that you hear in every club's dance floor, but something people can listen to and just say "Wow". A mixture of different instruments, guitars, basses, drums, voices, not just the same beat repeated over and over again (uh, David Guetta).

During the 00s, music in general has changed a lot. With all these new devices and mixing machines, basically anyone can turn himself into a DJ and create some crappy song with lyrics that don't even make sense. Don't get me wrong, there still are musicians out there that still do a great job (Radiohead, for instance), and new ones that make me thing music as I know it is still not lost (Adele, Florence + The Machine, Arcade Fire, etc.).

Bottom line, do you think music have evolved for the better or for the worse, during this last decade?

dexterlablab1

Music has changed for the worst over the years. What was once more about the actual talent a person had is now more about the "look" and synthesizers to make a fake sound.

Epicfied

There's still some good music made today...but most has made a turn for the worse. Rap has absolutely no meaning now. Before, most times it'd have a good reason. Now, it's only about sex, whores, drugs, and whatever else. Almost anyone can make what this generation calls music with synthesizers and autotune. If you're okay in looks, you're in. Just get in the booth and we'll fake it!...At least, that's what it seems like. I listen to my older bands. Some of them continue to make music today.

youredthiswrong

There's still some good music made today...but most has made a turn for the worse. Rap has absolutely no meaning now. Before, most times it'd have a good reason. Now, it's only about sex, whores, drugs, and whatever else. Almost anyone can make what this generation calls music with synthesizers and autotune. If you're okay in looks, you're in. Just get in the booth and we'll fake it!...At least, that's what it seems like. I listen to my older bands. Some of them continue to make music today.
I'm not a rap fan, but that's true. Tupac's songs had great lyrics, I mean, they really meant something. Rappers today are a disgrace. Same goes for pop music. Pop songs rarely had good lyrics, but they used to sound a lot, lot better than they do today...

OmarFW

Popular music has gotten crappier as it has become more consumerized and monetized. It's entirely about money making and less about quality entertainment.

Other music is still fine though. There's less appreciation for good music within the mainstream scope but that doesn't mean it isn't out there.

Epicfied

I'm not a rap fan, but that's true. Tupac's songs had great lyrics, I mean, they really meant something. Rappers today are a disgrace. Same goes for pop music. Pop songs rarely had good lyrics, but they used to sound a lot, lot better than they do today...
I'm no where near a rap fan. I'm a heavier music type of girl.
That's just one of the most obvious references towards this. At least old school rap I could stand.

dexterlablab1

What happened to music happens to any niche.

It even happens to video games now.

When a niche starts to grow out and become more mainstream, it loses a huge chunk of its quality over the generations as they become more "marketable"

Music, Video Games, Anime, and a few others have fallen prey to this very fact.

OmarFW

I was born in 90' and even my childhood saw some amazingly good music. Alternative has gotten skewed into something I don't like since then though.

I wouldn't say music has necessarily gotten worse though. It's definitely changed but good music still exists. I would say that mainstream music has grown oversaturated, overly monetized and diluted. It hardly puts out anything good anymore.

Look beyond that thin surface of mainstream music however, and you find the bulk of real music and most of that is very good. The internet has allowed many lesser known artists to spread their music as well.

Besides, there is a time and place for everything. If there were lots of bands that made the same kind of music as say, Led Zeppelin then LedZep would have less significance and impact on the music of today.

mudrock

I believe music should evolve and I am glad it does. If we like new genres or not, I think it is great because I would'nt want music to sound the same for generations. That would make everyone go crazy.

NewDCD

As weird as it sounds, I pretty much stick to Japanese music nowadays. Most of the mainstream music from the Western world either has an insufferable starlet attached to it, or is autotuned to hell and back. Anime and game openings tend to be quite original in their composition, though.

And of course, oldschool music from the likes of Ronnie James Dio is always great.

Sugarhill

Meh. I think everyone complains about the next decade of music. There is something strong about the music that you grew up on, the music that made you love music and everything will pale in comparison. Even when you go back to music before your time, you'll still have a stronger pull to what you first heard, so, I don't put much stock in the widespread notion that music has gotten worse. There is pretty much the same ratio of good and bad each decade, in my opinion.

Laura

I know, i totally agree with you, I don;t want to think about that too much, it is so depressing, The whole society is getting dumber and dumber and music business is just one of the signs of it. I don;t really see how it can be better. Actually maybe in reaction of all hat vanity and emptiness, a new movement will be created. Who knows. Back to roots