Kid spends £1,000 on Xbox LIVE, blames Microsoft

Creaky

Admin
An 11-year-old boy has racked up a debt of £1,000 on his mother’s debit card after purchasing items on Xbox LIVE.

Brendan Jordan racked up a bill of £1,082,52 on his Xbox LIVE account “without realising” the purchases were being billed to his mothers’s card. The schoolboy purchased accessories and new games for his Xbox using an Xbox LIVE account his mother had setup. Single mum-of-two, Dawn Matthews, is furious with Microsoft and blames the software giant for the purchases.

In a clear case of lunacy and the usual poor reporting we’ve come to expect from the UK’s Daily Mail (more like fail), we have a story where Microsoft is expected to shoulder the blame for the charges. Matthews claims that she cannot afford the charges. “A thousand pounds isn’t that much to people like Bill Gates, but for a single mum it is a lot of money that I don’t have. The bank and Microsoft are blaming each other and no one is helping me. It has taken me ages to permanently get rid of my card details from the website.”

Matthews entered her debit card details into her sons Xbox LIVE account to pay for his subscription to play games online. However, the cheeky chap decided to buy extensions and games from Xbox LIVE, racking up the huge sum. “It is impossible to monitor everything your children do. These companies should take some responsibility. They take advantage of vulnerable people,” claims Matthews.

Microsoft refutes the claims though and has advised Matthews that the company’s parental controls avoid these types of situations. Microsoft issued the following statement:

“With over 30M Xbox LIVE members across the world customer complaints of this nature are extremely rare. Microsoft’s goal is to provide parents and caregivers with tools and resources to manage their children’s gaming and entertainment experiences so that they can play in ways that are safer, healthy and more balanced. To accomplish this, we’ve built-in parental controls in every Xbox 360, work closely with retailers and recently launched the Play Smart, Play Safe website as an online resource for families.

It should also be noted that LIVE accounts registered for children’s use have online activity automatically defaulted to off, these can be enabled by the parent should they wish in the Family Settings section.”

Silent

Graphic Designer
Let's be serious. We are in a generation where parents don't know much about technology. Seriously. I've seen adults like at a computer and say, 'Now how do we turn it on?' I believe that Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo should take this into a more extreme level. For people who don't know how to mess with technology.

Grumpy

Totally her boys fault. Microsoft have every right to claim for the charges. The woman should have been more vigilant and removed her credit card details after she paid for the subscription, I wouldn't exactly give an 11 year old the key to my life, basically.

Creaky

Admin
Completely agree that it's the boys fault. I know I wouldn't trust my kids, don't have any though, with a credit card to do what they want.

Silent

Graphic Designer
Though that may be the case, what makes you guys so sure she entered the card information herself? What if she was standing there while the boys did it. Then took the card right after. I doubt this woman knows how to use the XBOX.

So how would she know to remove the details? What if she is old-fashion and believes in first time pay(meaning pay once, and don't have any kind of memory of information on any kind of device)?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.