Max Payne 3 developer Rockstar Vancouver is closing down

dexterlablab1

Despite all the praise the new Max Payne game has received, it must not have been good enough for Take Two has they have officially shut down Rockstar Vancouver and will now have them be dissolved into other Rockstar Divisions

News Here

Sugarhill

I think the amount of time that it takes to make these games are probably not offset by the eventual profits that they get from the games. Perhaps with a larger team, the games can get done sooner and cut some costs.

dexterlablab1

They team may not be all that large once everything is said and done though.

You see this all the time. A company tries to merge offices, some of the employees don't like it. So they find work elsewhere. People simply hate being uprooted.

Sugarhill

Unless they can find jobs at another studio or they have a game that they've been putting off and can prove that it wasn't thought of on Rockstar's time, they will be taking the new job. The economy isn't such that they can refuse at this point. Hopefully, the new studio will be central to both locations, but I don't think many of them will be turning down the offer to keep working.

I get that Vancouver is on the other side of Canada, but what else are they going to do?

ACSAPA

It must be weird for the people that worked on Max Payne 3 to see all the hype and the good reviews for Max Payne 3 and the interviews and the media coverage and they just lost their jobs after working on that game for years.

Technically they're not unemployed but being reorganized and restructured when you made a good game that people like, sucks.

THQ closed too. There seems to be a lot of that going around.