Microsoft launches Internet Explorer 6 countdown site

Creaky

Admin
Microsoft launched its own Internet Explorer 6 countdown site on Friday.

Theie6countdown.com marks Microsoft’s “commitment to getting rid of IE6″ according to the software giant. “Now that it’s 2011, IE6 is officially a ten-year old browser. According to Net Applications, IE6 still has 12% share worldwide. Our goal is to get this share under 1% worldwide,” explained Roger Capriotti, Director of Microsoft’s Internet Explorer Product Marketing team.

Microsoft’s countdown site provides statistics for Internet Explorer 6 usage worldwide. “We will update the site’s stats on a monthly basis and celebrate as countries dip under the 1% mark,” said Capriotti in a company blog post on Friday. Aten Design Group hosted a funeral for IE6 in Denver, Colorado a year ago. Microsoft sent flowers at the time in support. Unfortunately the browser is still used widely across the world and Microsoft wants to see it gone for good. The company is encouraging developers to spread the word by placing an upgrade notification to IE6 users on their sites. CNET, Facebook and others have placed notifications on their sites and Meebo plans to follow suit soon.

Despite Microsoft’s hate of Internet Explorer 6, all versions of the web browser’s market-share have dipped over the past 6 months. Worldwide Market-share trackers Net Applications issued their monthly browser share report on Tuesday which indicates that Internet Explorer market-share has increased for the first time in eight months. Microsoft’s Internet Explorer now controls 56.77% of the market compared to 60% a year ago and 67% in January 2009. Microsoft’s Internet Explorer market share bled for seven months continuously as the company struggles to convince users to pick Internet Explorer for their browsing needs.

Creaky

Admin
IE6 is a pain in the backside to support, I have to use it at work as some stuff we use doesn't work on newer browsers.

Bituser

Creaky said:
Microsoft launched its own Internet Explorer 6 countdown site on Friday.

Theie6countdown.com marks Microsoft’s “commitment to getting rid of IE6″ according to the software giant. “Now that it’s 2011, IE6 is officially a ten-year old browser. According to Net Applications, IE6 still has 12% share worldwide. Our goal is to get this share under 1% worldwide,” explained Roger Capriotti, Director of Microsoft’s Internet Explorer Product Marketing team.

Microsoft’s countdown site provides statistics for Internet Explorer 6 usage worldwide. “We will update the site’s stats on a monthly basis and celebrate as countries dip under the 1% mark,” said Capriotti in a company blog post on Friday. Aten Design Group hosted a funeral for IE6 in Denver, Colorado a year ago. Microsoft sent flowers at the time in support. Unfortunately the browser is still used widely across the world and Microsoft wants to see it gone for good. The company is encouraging developers to spread the word by placing an upgrade notification to IE6 users on their sites. CNET, Facebook and others have placed notifications on their sites and Meebo plans to follow suit soon.

Despite Microsoft’s hate of Internet Explorer 6, all versions of the web browser’s market-share have dipped over the past 6 months. Worldwide Market-share trackers Net Applications issued their monthly browser share report on Tuesday which indicates that Internet Explorer market-share has increased for the first time in eight months. Microsoft’s Internet Explorer now controls 56.77% of the market compared to 60% a year ago and 67% in January 2009. Microsoft’s Internet Explorer market share bled for seven months continuously as the company struggles to convince users to pick Internet Explorer for their browsing needs.
Someone doesn't have confidence in their own product :lol: .

I agree Creaky, Bit User is totally screwed in Ie6. I'm not recoding my theme just for a lousy 500 year old internet browser.

Creaky

Admin
I did look at here using IE6 once and it wasn't nice, the browser is so out of date and used so little I don't support it on anything I do.

Gamrpro

Silent said:
I currently have a Mac. There is no such thing as IE on Mac!
Haha there is one actually. It looks extremely ugly. I had a mac before and used it. Just search on Google you'll find it.

Silent

Graphic Designer
Gamrpro said:
Silent said:
I currently have a Mac. There is no such thing as IE on Mac!
Haha there is one actually. It looks extremely ugly. I had a mac before and used it. Just search on Google you'll find it.
I'll give it a look. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.