Microsoft's Xbox 360 turns five years old

Creaky

Admin
Microsoft's Xbox 360 celebrated it's fifth birthday this week, having originally gone on sale all the way back in November 2005 when motion-controlled gaming still felt like a distant dream. The console has been the subject of great praise and also harsh criticism. But despite being plagued with a very high rate of failures due to overheating, Microsoft stepped up its game with a billion-dollar, three-year warranty program to replace any console that got the dreaded RRoD.

Eventually they sorted out these problems with new, more efficient hardware revisions and got away from the controversy almost unhurt. Today, Microsoft is still selling hundreds of thousands of Xbox 360s each month, its console has become a centralized entertainment hub offering far much than just gaming, and with the recent launch of Kinect it still has some years left before retiring to make way for the next round of consoles.

CNet has posted a photo gallery looking back on five years of the Xbox 360. For me it’s been a bumpy ride, having to deal with two RRoD problems, which fortunately got covered by the console’s extended warranty program. How about you, did you stick with the Xbox all the way through these years? Any launch units still alive out there?

Silent

Graphic Designer
And the PlayStation®2 turned 10! This year. lol

I had the craziest time of my life with the XBOX360. I've been through 6 XBOX360 consoles. All which captured the Red Rings of Bulls***. :evil:

I lost lots of money, and decided to switch on over to the PlayStation®3 which I fell in love with ever since.

Creaky

Admin
Thankfully only ever had 1 go wrong, sent it off and got it repaired free of charge though. My current one hasn't had a problem an is about 2 years old now.

Creaky

Admin
I've got friends who have been through 5 or 6 as well, most of the time I think it was just pot luck if worked or not.

Silent

Graphic Designer
Damn.

Well, I for one take great care of my systems. I clean them every week. Make sure they are in a well temperatured room for no over heating issues, and everything works fine for all my other consoles. Besides my XBOX360, which I no longer have.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.