Nokia already working on first Windows Phone devices

Creaky

Admin
Nokia CEO Stephen Elop has confirmed that work has already begun on the company’s first Windows Phone smartphones.

Elop previously revealed at Mobile World Congress that Nokia would like to produce a Windows Phone 7 device into the market by the end of 2011. Speaking to Reuters this week, Elop confirmed that the company is currently working on devices. “We’re right now, today, having people work on the first Windows Phone devices from Nokia. That work is already under way,” said Elop.

Elop also rubbished rumors and speculation that Microsoft may purchase Nokia. “I’m not aware of a strategic interest that Microsoft would have in the rest of the business,” Elop said. “To the extent that a partnership has been formed around what they’re really interested in, then what would an acquisition bring other than a good year of anti-trust investigation, huge turmoil, delays?”

Nokia’s recent filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission revealed that Nokia and Microsoft’s strategic partnership has yet to be finalized. Nokia claims in the document that the transition to Windows Phone as its “primary smartphone platform” will take “about two years.” Nokia said recently that it plans to ship Windows Phone branded devices to developers when they are available later this year. Nokia is currently engineering Windows Phone devices and is expected to wait for “Mango”, the next version of Windows Phone, until it unveils them later this year. “Mango”, the codename for what will likely be named Windows Phone 7.5, is currently in the early beta stages at Microsoft. The software giant revealed a number of new features in February that will ship as part of its Windows Phone point release later this year. Nokia is reportedly waiting for multitasking, IE9 mobile and others before it releases its first Windows Phone device.
Tags: nokia, nokmsft, windows phone, windows phone 7, wp7

Silent

Graphic Designer
What do you think about this Creaky?

---

My thoughts is that Nokia really isn't popular. If they manage to create a very nice phone that isn't very laggy, than I will be more than happy to take a personal look on it. Other than that, I wouldn't bother.

Creaky

Admin
Nokia used to be a good phone company, had 3 different handsets over the years from them. If teaming up with Microsoft turns the company round then that can only be good for them.

Silent

Graphic Designer
Creaky said:
Nokia used to be a good phone company, had 3 different handsets over the years from them. If teaming up with Microsoft turns the company round then that can only be good for them.
I agree. Have you ever tried a Windows phone?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.