Online retailer Kogan slaps 6.8% tax on IE7 users

Creaky

Admin
We'll file this one under great marketing ploys, but to be honest it also gave us a bit of a laugh. Australian online-only electronics retailer Kogan announced on Wednesday that they are the first website to implement an "Internet Explorer 7 Tax", whereby everyone attempting to make a purchase using the six-year-old browser will have a 6.8% surcharge placed on their order; 0.1% for every month IE7 has been on the market.

Kogan notes that having to code their website to specifically work with Internet Explorer 7 is "not only costing us a huge amount" but it's "costing the Internet economy millions". This new tax is attempting to rid the world of people using horribly outdated web browsers, which in turn will save websites money who normally would have to code workarounds to get everything functioning correctly on outdated browsers. Oh, and did we mention it's great for marketing their website?

cb8d4caee907047fe4d0c03dce51d3cb.jpg

Read more: Neowin

OmarFW

Awesome! I love the new ways these companies are getting people to stop using that outdated piece of crap. Developers should really just start making 'this page is not available on IE7' pages in place of the ones they are having to redo from scratch to make sure they are compatible.

dexterlablab1

If more people start doing this IE will be near extinct in no time lol Just imagine all those people that shop Amazon like crazy. If Amazon pulled this you may as well kiss IE goodbye right then and there.

Creaky

Admin
I think this was more a publicity stunt than anything else, can't really believe they would do this.

dexterlablab1

I think this was more a publicity stunt than anything else, can't really believe they would do this.

Even though I HATE IE, I tend to agree with you. Like it or Hate it, it's not like it's illegal to use IE or anything. In fact, if Kogan isn't careful, they can find themselves on the business end of a freedom of expression lawsuit with this.

NewDCD

I chuckled. It's definitely a marketing move, but it's an awesome one at that. IE is so grossly outdated, it makes one wonder why hasn't Microsoft thought about making a new browser from scratch.

dexterlablab1

I chuckled. It's definitely a marketing move, but it's an awesome one at that. IE is so grossly outdated, it makes one wonder why hasn't Microsoft thought about making a new browser from scratch.

Sadly, because they get more than enough IE users.

Remember, even with Firefox and Chrome being more popular, to the average mainstream user, IE is all they know because it's the default on any bought computer. So IE will always have an advantage to some extent.

NewDCD

That is true. Still, even people who are absolutely clueless about tech will probably wonder if there's a faster way to browse the internet out there, and will probably hear about Chrome or FF when they do so.

dexterlablab1

That is true. Still, even people who are absolutely clueless about tech will probably wonder if there's a faster way to browse the internet out there, and will probably hear about Chrome or FF when they do so.

Well sure, they'll wonder and be curious about it. But their usually the same people that know almost nothing about the net. So they won't know how to go about finding better.

neverforget98

New Members
I seen this coming. I didn't know what website would've done it first, but I knew it was gonna happen. I think it's completely reasonable, and people really gotta get their browsers up to date. Not only is it a hassle for websites and webmasters, but it's also a hassle for them in the long run because of security risks.