Overclocking your CPU

Creaky

Admin
Do you overclock the CPU? If so does it make a big difference to the overall performance?

Silent

Graphic Designer
Creaky said:
Do you overclock the CPU? If so does it make a big difference to the overall performance?
Can you explain this for me? Do you mean keeping the CPU running at a certain speed?

Creaky

Admin
It's basically turning up the speed on the processor so that it runs faster, a way of increasing the performance of the system. This can also be done with the PC's memory. If you take it to far though the system will keep crashing, it's a very fine balance between stability and performance.

Silent

Graphic Designer
Creaky said:
It's basically turning up the speed on the processor so that it runs faster, a way of increasing the performance of the system. This can also be done with the PC's memory. If you take it to far though the system will keep crashing, it's a very fine balance between stability and performance.
Ah. Thank you for the explanation.

Creaky

Admin
Silent said:
Doesn't this cause the Blue Screen of Death?
If you take things too far then yes it could. There are a lot of causes for a BSOD though, not only this.

Gamrpro

I was going to ask how to do this but I just saw BSOD. My computers fast as it is but it would nice to experience a faster computer!

Creaky

Admin
It most commonly appears after installing some new drivers or software. If it goes wrong or the PC cant handle it it throws a wobbly and you get a BSOD.

Silent

Graphic Designer
Creaky said:
It most commonly appears after installing some new drivers or software. If it goes wrong or the PC cant handle it it throws a wobbly and you get a BSOD.
So you're basically saying that Windows isn't very stable in terms of installing drivers?

Gamrpro

I wouldn't so much want to overclock it. I didn't have much of a fun time having a BOSD. It gave me a headache to fix.

Silent

Graphic Designer
Gamrpro said:
I wouldn't so much want to overclock it. I didn't have much of a fun time having a BOSD. It gave me a headache to fix.
I wouldn't overclock either. Though there are some people who likes the boost.

Creaky

Admin
Silent said:
Creaky said:
So you're basically saying that Windows isn't very stable in terms of installing drivers?
Installing drivers most of the time is fine. It's only if it goes wrong or if you've been playing around with the PC.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.