PC gaming more expensive?

Grumpy

Who also agrees with me that PC gaming is a lot more expensive than other systems?

First of all, you need a computer with decent specs and RAM in order to actually play the games, something like that will cost a lot more than a PS3 does for example, then the games are normally quite expensive and sometimes even more expensive than PS3/Xbox games too...

Creaky

Admin
Used to play PC games a fair bit, always seemed to be upgrading video cards etc. Became expensive after a while.

Silent

Graphic Designer
Yes, very understandable. I've always stood with consoles. PC gaming isn't the best.

TheNavigator

It's not more expensive, it's just you have to buy lots of things for the computer, but in the end, probably it won't be more expensive than a PS3 for example..

A PS3 is better in any way :p

Silent

Graphic Designer
I can understand that Gamrpro. Though you do pay more for your PC than a regular console such as the PlayStation®.

Caiaphas

TheNavigator said:
It's not more expensive, it's just you have to buy lots of things for the computer, but in the end, probably it won't be more expensive than a PS3 for example..

A PS3 is better in any way :p
Posted this with your PS3 did you?

I like to have my games for the PC...with the money spent on a console and games...your PC could be upgraded that much more. I know several people who have consoles but their PC's are worthless!

Gamrpro

I don't mind the price for pc games. Why? I don't have any other gaming systems and I can only buy for the pc. I sold all my consoles.

Creaky

Admin
The price of the games wasn't the problem, each new one seemed to need a more powerful graphics card or memory.

Silent

Graphic Designer
Creaky said:
The price of the games wasn't the problem, each new one seemed to need a more powerful graphics card or memory.
Which killed it. I don't think this isn't the problem with a AlienWare computer.

ProClerk

I think both prices are equal then other, may be the some difference had created but i think both are the best way to enjoy and relax.

NewDCD

PC gaming and Console gaming are not more expensive than the other. In fact, it all depends on what's your approach to video games. For example; a computer will be more expensive than a console, yes, but a computer does a lot more than just playing games. Basically the cost of "gaming" in the PC relies on your graphics card and physical memory (because surely you opted for a good processor for your machine rather than a bare-bones one). So while the system itself is more costly, there is the benefit of having a multimedia machine. Plus, from experience, a $120 AMD card can run pretty much all games on the market right now decently (unless you absolutely want to push for 60 FPS).

Now, purchasing a console might be cheaper, but the games will be more expensive, as you'll never find deals as good as PC game deals you can get via Steam and other digital distribution services. Thus, the PC might be a more expensive initial investmetn, but game software will be cheaper if you wait for sales. Consoles are a cheaper initial investment, but you have to pay $40-$60 per physical copy of a game.

OmarFW

PC gaming has always had higher upfront cost than consoles, save for some of the ridiculously expensive consoles back in the 80s.

However, don't mistake higher upfront cost with higher overall price.

Let’s say you purchased a 360 back in 2005 on its release and you’ve kept the same unit all these years without replacing it (unlikely, but possible) as well as an XBL subscription. Taking into account the increase in price from $7.99 to $9.99 back in 2010, you would pay approximately $719.16 for XBL total.

If you started purchasing their $50/12 yr plan back in 2010 it would be about $597.38 total.

Now add in the cost of the Xbox 360 itself. ($399)

Now add 20 games priced at a flat rate of $60 each. ($1200)

The total cost would be $2196.38

That’s without counting things like extra controllers, game discs being damaged and having to be re-purchased, warranty costs, DLC packs (and other Microsoft Point purchases), entirely new 360s and the fact that most 360 gamers have probably purchased more than 20 games since 2005. This is a very low estimate.

Now let’s look at what I have personally invested in my PC over the past few years.

The computer itself ($700)

57 total purchases on Steam clocking in at $775.44. (The steam calculator doesn’t take into account sales or the games that were gifted to me either. The amount I actually paid is lower.)

GTX 560 graphics card ($179.99)

750 watt power supply ($87.99)

G500 mouse ($49)

23″ monitor ($149.99)

Headset ($15)

The total is $1957.41

http://www.gamermc.c...-gaming-option/

Creaky

Admin
Not played games on PC for years, not up to date on the cost of things. Going from the above it seems expensive though.

NewDCD

What's above is pretty much an estimate. Let me use my example...

I made a desktop for about $500 back in the day. 2GB RAM, a dingy video card which got the job done in medium settings, Phenom II 955 X4 Processor at 3.2 GHz. Bought a 500GB HDD for about $75 and recycled a 250GB one from my old rig. I use my TV as my monitor, so I don't exactly count it in my calculations.

Managed to play a fair bit of games in that rig, but I wanted more. For about $200, I upgraded to 8GB RAM and a GOOD video card.

So that's $700 for a GOOD computer (let's say $1100, if we include my TV screen). A console is about $250, but games run for like $60 all the time. While PC games DO run for that price when they're new releases sometimes (AAA titles, of course), do consider that waiting for a sale means you can get most games for about $5-$15. Batman: Arkham City was on sale for $12 yesterday, for example. So buying games is much, much cheaper. Plus everyone wants a good computer in this day and age, anyways.

So for a desktop, that's basically the price of a mid-range laptop. You don't need to install two Graphics Cards in CrossfireX configuration and install a liquid cooling system to prevent your overclocked CPU and GPU from spontaneously combusting...that's overkill. Awesome overkill if you're into it and have money to burn, but a $800-$1000 computer can basically run everything you throw at it. And the most important part: it's a computer. You have a workstation that also plays games. Consoles are cool, but a computer is a work necessity for most. Might as well invest a few extra bucks so the computer lasts longer, AND can play awesome games.

Epicfied

Currently, I have used more money on other systems than PC gaming. I generally play free games. Only game I've bought/plan on buying for PC gaming is Guild Wars 2.
I've bought multiple $60 games for my Xbox and always just used my computer that was already owned for PC gaming.
Currently I'm working on saving up money to either buy or build a PC, so that'll even out the ratio to more money to PC Gaming.

Jaja

I'll have to say it depends on the person himself/herself how he/she'll find their way around things, their gaming lifestyle to begin with, etc. Besides, I think the first thing that comes in mind is how would these consoles cost, etc. the console price is different from the other things you'd be spending on which reflects on the entire gaming experience, which is, what really matters now. I'll have to say, I'm not the most knowledgeable about these things, but these are all just solely based on my common sense, not much on the technical aspect.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.