PSN is down and out!

Silent

Graphic Designer
Hi,

so last Wednesday Sony was struck with a 'external intrusion' that caused an outage on the network. Which didn't allow 70 million users to connect via PSN. Here is what the PlayStation.Blog had to say on April 22nd:
Official PlayStation Blog said:
An external intrusion on our system has affected our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. In order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services going forward, we turned off PlayStation Network & Qriocity services on the evening of Wednesday, April 20th. Providing quality entertainment services to our customers and partners is our utmost priority. We are doing all we can to resolve this situation quickly, and we once again thank you for your patience. We will continue to update you promptly as we have additional information to share.
Sadly Sony stated on Wednesday that it will take a full day or two to get it up and running. It has been 4 days. This is what Sony had to say about that:
Official PlayStation Blog said:
We sincerely regret that PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have been suspended, and we are working around the clock to bring them both back online. Our efforts to resolve this matter involve re-building our system to further strengthen our network infrastructure. Though this task is time-consuming, we decided it was worth the time necessary to provide the system with additional security.
We thank you for your patience to date and ask for a little more while we move towards completion of this project. We will continue to give you updates as they become available.
This statement was made on the 23rd of April. Many people are asking questions about their accounts. Over half of the 70 million users that are PSN users are worried about their credit card information being compromised. People do not want to have problems with their credit cards and will not tolerate this at all. Sony haven't given users the response they want to hear concerning account information which worries everyone.

Lastly, people believe this was the work of the hacktivist group 'Anonymous'. Not long ago the group known as 'Anonymous' said they are going to get Sony back for listing people's IP Address that viewed GeoHot's jailbreaking video. Anonymous believe this was an act of violating their privacy to they then created a video in response to Sony's action. Which stated that they(Sony) will regret what they have done to GeoHot with the lawsuit and for obtaining their IP Addresses. They created a new operation called Operation Sony. Anonymous said they will attack Sony mid-April.

Though this is not the case. Anonymous stated that they DID not attack Sony, yet. Though some Anonymous members said it could have been the works of OTHER Anonymous members. They are not sure as of yet.

Anonymous is a group known for crippling Amazon(which is still on-going), PayPal and other big-sites.

Anonymous has a Facebook page which reached 48K likes. Problem is, is that people are just liking that page to bomb Anonymous with spam. Which isn't going so well for them either. Though people do not seem to understand that Anonymous was not the attacker(as per what they say).

---

Back to Sony. It seems that Sony is heavily crippled and are losing a lot of money due to having PSN shut down. People hope to have PSN back up and running before the Tuesday PSN Store update. People are also thinking of switching to XBOX. So that they don't have to worry about XBOX Live being taken out.

To make matters worse. 3 major games were released not that long ago. Mortal Kombat, Portal 2 and Socom 4. A lot of PSN users are very angry because they cannot get online with a their newly purchased game. I, myself, am a bit angry that I cannot get online with Socom 4. I just got the game and I am not able to get online.

This is indeed bad for Sony. As a Sony fan I just hope that Sony will be back on it's feet soon enough.

Creaky

Admin
Been reading about this in a few places, not sure what to think really. Must be a major 'intrusion' to have taken PSN down for so long. Makes you wonder how good the security of PSN really is.

Silent

Graphic Designer
Creaky said:
Been reading about this in a few places, not sure what to think really. Must be a major 'intrusion' to have taken PSN down for so long. Makes you wonder how good the security of PSN really is.
I asked myself the same thing. I don't like the fact that my security is threaten when playing on PSN. Gladly I didn't add my crucial personal information(besides home address).

Creaky

Admin
I wish Sony would give some more info on what happened, there silence isn't helping the rumours.

Creaky

Admin
Seems they may have taken a fair bit of info

Thank you for your patience while we work to resolve the current outage of PlayStation Network & Qriocity services. We are currently working to send a similar message to the one below via email to all of our registered account holders regarding a compromise of personal information as a result of an illegal intrusion on our systems. These malicious actions have also had an impact on your ability to enjoy the services provided by PlayStation Network and Qriocity including online gaming and online access to music, movies, sports and TV shows. We have a clear path to have PlayStation Network and Qriocity systems back online, and expect to restore some services within a week.

We’re working day and night to ensure it is done as quickly as possible. We appreciate your patience and feedback.
A lot more detailed here.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/ ... -qriocity/

Silent

Graphic Designer
Yes, some accounts were compromised and now 70 million people are very angry. Some people already threaten Sony(SCEA) about a lawsuit. So I don't know how that will turn out. Though Sony really brought shame into their own company. I don't see how this could have happened. Shouldn't Sony have people working around the clock working on something like this and or preventing it from happening?

This is a disgrace to Sony and I am ashamed of them. Though I love Sony and wish to give them my full support but lack of public information, law and security protections for their own network is making it difficult to be such a supporter of Sony.

Edit: The PlayStation Blog(both US and EU) has been updated concerning certain points that Sony would like to clarify. They have also added a new FAQ page to their site which answers commonly asked questions about the PSN outage. Click here to view the FAQ page. Very important for PSN users to read.

Creaky

Admin
I know the network will be complicated but I would have thought that security would be at the top of the list with continual testing to prevent something like this. I hope they actually explain what happened, they need to try and put a stop to some of the rumours.

Read the FAQ earlier, has some good info in it. Will be changing my PSN password as soon as it's all back up.

Silent

Graphic Designer
Creaky said:
I know the network will be complicated but I would have thought that security would be at the top of the list with continual testing to prevent something like this. I hope they actually explain what happened, they need to try and put a stop to some of the rumours.

Read the FAQ earlier, has some good info in it. Will be changing my PSN password as soon as it's all back up.
I, too, will be changing my password. Also, Sony needs to be more connected to their customers. They kept us in the dark for 5 days, THEN they have decided to tell us our information was compromised. Which gets me mad! In 5 days my bank could have been empty! :x

Creaky

Admin
They really should release more info than the already have and quicker. I think my card on PSN has expired, cNg check until its back online though.

Silent

Graphic Designer
I've done necessary actions towards my bank account and it seems that everything is fine. They are going to be issuing me a new card so that I don't have to risk having my information compromised.

Creaky

Admin
Will probably be doing the same thing, a lot of public holidays here at the moment so hard to get hold of people.

Silent

Graphic Designer
Creaky said:
Will probably be doing the same thing, a lot of public holidays here at the moment so hard to get hold of people.
Yes, here we are on our Spring Break and also had Easter. I was unable to play on PSN for this whole entire vacation so far.

Creaky

Admin
This doesn't sound good

The folks over at the PSX-Scene forums are reporting that over 2.2 million customers' names, addresses, phone numbers and credit/debit card information is up for grabs to the highest bidder, including the crucial three digit CVV2 numbers. According to the forum post, rumors are spreading through underground trading forums and on Twitter that the database is for sale, "a large section of the PSN database containing complete personal details along...are being offer up for sale."

The post explains how the hackers allegedly attempted to sell the details to Sony for an unknown amount but failed to get a reply, so instead they are trying to sell them to anyone with enough money. Kevin Stevens, a Security Researcher, has been following the story and tweeted earlier, "Supposedly the hackers selling the DB says it has: fname, lnam, address, zip, country, phone, email, password, dob, ccnum, CVV2, exp date", but added that "it is not a rumor, it was a conversation on a criminal forum."

Neowin has previously reported on the Playstation Network hack and the latest news, if authentic, is bound to be very alarming to millions of customers affected by the security breach. Sony confirmed the attack and the possibility of sensitive information being stolen on a blog post on their website and then urged its users to be aware of any email, telephone and postal scams that may ask users for sensitive information.

Silent

Graphic Designer
That's not good at all. SCEA posted a new blog post. They did not mention anything about our personal information being attacked.

Creaky

Admin
SOME PLAYSTATION®NETWORK AND QRIOCITY™ SERVICES TO BE AVAILABLE THIS WEEK
Phased Global Rollout of Services to Begin Regionally;
System Security Enhanced to Provide Greater Protection of Personal Information

Tokyo, May 1, 2011 – Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) and Sony Network Entertainment International (SNEI, the company) announced they will shortly begin a phased restoration by region of PlayStation®Network and Qriocity™ services, beginning with gaming, music and video services to be turned on. The company also announced both a series of immediate steps to enhance security across the network and a new customer appreciation program to thank its customers for their patience and loyalty.

Following a criminal cyber-attack on the company’s data-center located in San Diego, California, U.S.A., SNEI quickly turned off the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services, engaged multiple expert information security firms over the course of several days and conducted an extensive audit of the system. Since then, the company has implemented a variety of new security measures to provide greater protection of personal information. SNEI and its third-party experts have conducted extensive tests to verify the security strength of the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. With these measures in place, SCE and SNEI plan to start a phased rollout by region of the services shortly. The initial phase of the rollout will include, but is not limited to, the following:

• [*:17n7475j]Restoration of Online game-play across the PlayStation®3 (PS3) and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) systems
    -This includes titles requiring online verification and downloaded games
    [*:17n7475j]Access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3/PSP for existing subscribers
    [*:17n7475j]Access to account management and password reset
    [*:17n7475j]Access to download un-expired Movie Rentals on PS3, PSP and MediaGo
    [*:17n7475j]PlayStation®Home
    [*:17n7475j]Friends List
    [*:17n7475j]Chat Functionality
Looks like things are on the way back

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/ ... this-week/

Creaky

Admin
ShadyX said:
I heard somewhere that people are already reporting credit card fraud due to this.
I've read the same thing, not sure how true those claims are yet though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.