Retro Gaming

Epicfied

Nothing's better than kicking off your shoes, blowing the dust off of your old system, and playing the games you grew up with.

Do any of you still pull out your old systems?
Why or why not?
Do you like emulators?
Why or why not?
Do emulators take away the feel of retro games?
What is your favorite retro system and game?

dexterlablab1

Unfortunately, most of the time if I want to play the old stuff, I have no choice but to download emulators. And sometimes I even have to download the roms for games that aren't disc based like the NES, Genesis, and SNES.

It does take away from SOME of the feel because you aren't on the orginal hardware for the games. But I'd rather have SOME retro than NONE at all. So I deal with it.

Epicfied

Unfortunately, most of the time if I want to play the old stuff, I have no choice but to download emulators. And sometimes I even have to download the roms for games that aren't disc based like the NES, Genesis, and SNES.

It does take away from SOME of the feel because you aren't on the orginal hardware for the games. But I'd rather have SOME retro than NONE at all. So I deal with it.
I'm so happy I got my NES working again. I played emulators for a while...they were fun and all, but it lost some of the feel.
It's good to have the old feel back.

What systems did you used to play?

dexterlablab1

I had almost all of the retro systems.

But unfortunately, only my Atari works. Everything else is either gone or doesn't work anymore. So for the NES, SNES, Sega Master System, Genesis, etc. Those all needed emulators and roms for me.

At least with things like the PS1 and the Dreamcast all you needed for their emulators was the actual game discs.

But yeah, I've played just about all the systems.

Epicfied

I had almost all of the retro systems.

But unfortunately, only my Atari works. Everything else is either gone or doesn't work anymore. So for the NES, SNES, Sega Master System, Genesis, etc. Those all needed emulators and roms for me.

At least with things like the PS1 and the Dreamcast all you needed for their emulators was the actual game discs.

But yeah, I've played just about all the systems.
Ewwww...that sucks.
We've gotten rid of most of ours. I have a working NES and a non-working SNES still.
I must say, I've never played a Dreamcast and that's about it.

NewDCD

I have no Retro Systems lying around...children have inherited my previous systems as they were too poor to afford them. I don't regret it, though; more kids get to experience gaming that way.

But back on topic, I love me some serious retro gamin'. I think the best way for me to experience the classics is on emulators on my PSP. They run flawlessly and I can play them on the go with a really good control scheme.

dexterlablab1

If you never had the dreamcast then you should definitely go hunt down an emulator for it. At the very least, to see why everyone covets it so dearly

Epicfied

I have no Retro Systems lying around...children have inherited my previous systems as they were too poor to afford them. I don't regret it, though; more kids get to experience gaming that way.

But back on topic, I love me some serious retro gamin'. I think the best way for me to experience the classics is on emulators on my PSP. They run flawlessly and I can play them on the go with a really good control scheme.
Yay for good deeds. Spreading the love of retro games.
That's cool. Do the emulators ever make you miss the real thing?

If you never had the dreamcast then you should definitely go hunt down an emulator for it. At the very least, to see why everyone covets it so dearly
My boyfriend nor I have played the dreamcast. We saw one for $20 at a record store (that sells old&new systems and their games).
Neither of us had the money on us or we would've bought it.

dexterlablab1

@Epicfied

Well, if you ever get the chance again, try to jump on it when you see it.

Or you can use an emulator and hunt down actual dreamcast discs. But I warn you, some of those games are expensive now.

Epicfied

@Epicfied

Well, if you ever get the chance again, try to jump on it when you see it.

Or you can use an emulator and hunt down actual dreamcast discs. But I warn you, some of those games are expensive now.
I'll definitely keep that in mind. The record store I mentioned may still have it in stock, actually.
I'll try to check it out as soon as I can.

dexterlablab1

I'll definitely keep that in mind. The record store I mentioned may still have it in stock, actually.
I'll try to check it out as soon as I can.

If you do decide on it, there is a website called Gametz where gamers trade games with each other. I've used it before. It's basically a way of potentially getting your games cheap and not having to deal with a middle man like Gamestop. They have some old dreamcast greats there

Epicfied

If you do decide on it, there is a website called Gametz where gamers trade games with each other. I've used it before. It's basically a way of potentially getting your games cheap and not having to deal with a middle man like Gamestop. They have some old dreamcast greats there
I've heard of Gametz but never have used it. I was never sure how legit it'd be.
I'll keep that in mind as well. Thanks.

dexterlablab1

Well, not that you can use me as a vouch since you don't know me personally. But I've used it three times. I've gotten what I wanted each time I worked with it. The thing is that you have to be mindful of yourself. Don't let yourself get swindled with someone's crappy deal and make sure people's info is 100% legit and you'll usually do fine.

But I will admit, there are scammers there sometimes too. But nowhere near as bad as it was when it first came out since now they have more safety measures than they did back then.

NewDCD

@Epicfied: Emulators do the job quite well, yeah. It's not exactly the same, but it gets the job done. It all depends on the input device you have on hand. Since I use my Wii Classic Controller with my PC...it feels pretty legit.

@dexterlablab1: Funny, a friend of mine got a Dreamcast for about $15 a little while ago.

dexterlablab1

Yeah, the system itself can be found dirt cheap. But wait till your friend tries to hunt down some of the games. Like for example, Project Justice goes for $70 minimum.

Epicfied

Yeah, the system itself can be found dirt cheap. But wait till your friend tries to hunt down some of the games. Like for example, Project Justice goes for $70 minimum.
The only system around here (not online) is $30. We've checked.
There's no games there either. We'd have to buy them online.

NewDCD

He got Shenmue as well. Also, remember that the Dreamcast is pretty much the most pirate-friendly system of all time. All you need is a bootdisc, and everything else can be burnt.

Sure, I'd prefer to have legit copies, but considering the Dreamcast is a dead system and the companies are not seeing a penny of these game sales...well, yeah, you get me.

Epicfied

He got Shenmue as well. Also, remember that the Dreamcast is pretty much the most pirate-friendly system of all time. All you need is a bootdisc, and everything else can be burnt.

Sure, I'd prefer to have legit copies, but considering the Dreamcast is a dead system and the companies are not seeing a penny of these game sales...well, yeah, you get me.
I didn't even think of that to be honest. I didn't realize how pirate-friendly it was.
I can't say I'll ever do it, hell, I may not even get the system.
However, it is a good side option.

NewDCD

I didn't even think of that to be honest. I didn't realize how pirate-friendly it was.
I can't say I'll ever do it, hell, I may not even get the system.
However, it is a good side option.

Getting the games is always better. Of course, the best alternative you have is some local game shop that sells these old-school games on retail for dirt-cheap.