Retro Gaming

Epicfied

Getting the games is always better. Of course, the best alternative you have is some local game shop that sells these old-school games on retail for dirt-cheap.
Definitely. I have been looking around.
As I stated above, there are no games at the store I was talking about but it has a Dreamcast for $30.

NewDCD

Maybe you should get that Dreamcast. Maybe you won't play it yourself, but it could be a nice investment. A year or two from now, you could probably sell it online for a pretty penny.

dexterlablab1

He got Shenmue as well. Also, remember that the Dreamcast is pretty much the most pirate-friendly system of all time. All you need is a bootdisc, and everything else can be burnt.

Sure, I'd prefer to have legit copies, but considering the Dreamcast is a dead system and the companies are not seeing a penny of these game sales...well, yeah, you get me.

Yeah, unless you want to hunt down those rare games that will cost a ton, that boot disc is the only chance you have

Diablo2

You know, i do feel like emulators take away a genuine retro feeling, for the most part. Having the actual Mega Man X catridge, for example, would make me want to beat the game so much more than just double-clicking it on my computer.

As far as retro gaming goes, I always love a dose of good old Donkey Kong. It just never gets old.

Epicfied

Maybe you should get that Dreamcast. Maybe you won't play it yourself, but it could be a nice investment. A year or two from now, you could probably sell it online for a pretty penny.
I lied. I was in that store again yesterday. The Dreamcast was $39.99, not $29.99...so it's $40.
I doubt I'll get it...I just don't have the extra cash to blow. You know?

You know, i do feel like emulators take away a genuine retro feeling, for the most part. Having the actual Mega Man X catridge, for example, would make me want to beat the game so much more than just double-clicking it on my computer.

As far as retro gaming goes, I always love a dose of good old Donkey Kong. It just never gets old.
Exactly my thought on it. I just don't want to beat it as bad, I guess.

oooh, I haven't play Donkey Kong in a looong while.

Diablo2

there's just a sense of importance to it, a greater sense of worth. If i had a SNES, im sure id be actively purchasing all kinds of games on ebay and pretending it's 1995.

NewDCD

I lied. I was in that store again yesterday. The Dreamcast was $39.99, not $29.99...so it's $40.
I doubt I'll get it...I just don't have the extra cash to blow. You know?

Exactly my thought on it. I just don't want to beat it as bad, I guess.

oooh, I haven't play Donkey Kong in a looong while.

That's a freaking shame. It would have been a very worthwhile purchase D:

Epicfied

That's a freaking shame. It would have been a very worthwhile purchase D:
Worthwhile or not... I can't make it right now.
I just really don't have the extra cash. I'm working on building a PC and such at the moment.

Sugarhill

I have an Atari 2600 that I'm sure probably works, I just don't know of a TV nowadays that it would work on. My NES should still work as I barely played it while it was the thing. I wouldn't mind playing the 2600, but a lot of the games have been ported to the XBox, so I don't see the point right now. It's not in mint condition, but there is no need to add more wear and tear on it.

dexterlablab1

I have an Atari 2600 that I'm sure probably works, I just don't know of a TV nowadays that it would work on. My NES should still work as I barely played it while it was the thing. I wouldn't mind playing the 2600, but a lot of the games have been ported to the XBox, so I don't see the point right now. It's not in mint condition, but there is no need to add more wear and tear on it.

It's still doable to make old tech like that work on the new TV sets. It's just unfortunately, you'd have to use a VCR as a "middle man" of sorts. VCR are still capable of hooking to the newer TV sets. And from there you'd have to use some attachments to hook your old game system to the vcr.

It's a bit of trouble just for some old games though lol

Sugarhill

Not that I haven't considered getting a VCR/DVD combo, it's just no at the top of my list. But, it is good to know that I could still play the Atari if I wanted to. I have no idea what it would look like on a HD TV, but since it looks like no one is going to port Qbert to a modern console, I may have to do it. I need to play Qbert!

dexterlablab1

Not that I haven't considered getting a VCR/DVD combo, it's just no at the top of my list. But, it is good to know that I could still play the Atari if I wanted to. I have no idea what it would look like on a HD TV, but since it looks like no one is going to port Qbert to a modern console, I may have to do it. I need to play Qbert!

Expect that your gaming sense have been spoiled and to instinctively turn it off in like 10 minutes is all I'm gonna say if you do this lol

Sugarhill

Yeah, I'm sure it will look absolutely crazy which is why I keep speaking Qbert into existence. At some point, someone will hear me and get it done. I should put it in my signature.

Free Qbert! Port Qbert! :mrgreen:

ACSAPA

My favorite older system is the Sega Dreamcast. I have 2 of them, in case one dies. I still sometimes play Shenmue, Space Channel 5, Soul Calibur, Dead Or Alive 2, Seaman, Typing of the Dead and Sonic Adventure.

The games still look pretty good for their age and I think the Dreamcast died a year or 2 too soon.