The last big push before the new consoles.

Sugarhill

Sony is releasing an even slimmer PS3 and Microsoft is releasing a Halo 4 Bundle.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/74812/super-slim-ps3-photos

http://kotaku.com/5925658/custom-halo-4-xbox-360-bundle-leaks-ahead-of-microsofts-official-announcement

The Halo 4 bundle makes sense to me as they know that they will have a bunch of diehards that are clamoring for this and they didn't do anything to the actual design of the console.

The Sony Super Slim doesn't make any sense to me as it looks like they've have a cheaply made build and I'm not really understanding the new HDD sizes. I just don't get why Sony would feel the need to redesign and further encourage sales of the PS3 when they will be releasing a PS4 sooner than later. Is the PS4 going to be so extroadinarily different that people will feel the need to have it regardless of how new their PS3 is?

People will be buying the Halo 4 as a collector's item more than anything else, so there shouldn't be much conflict with the new XBox.

A curious turn of events.

ACSAPA

I'm not falling for that again. I bought a PS2 slim and regretted it because it didn't have the horsepower to play games like Star Ocean Till the End of Time or GTA San Andreas so it froze all the time. I ended up going back and buying a normal chubby PS2.

I can't imagine anyone buying a slim PS3 when the console's life cycle is almost over. But the Halo 4 bundle looks gorgeous.

original.jpg

Sugarhill

Well, for some reason Sony believes that it will have the same kind of loyalty that the PS2 had. I agree with you, I wouldn't even think of buying a PS3 right now, if I were a Sony fan. I'd just hang on until next year. Maybe the people that only use the PS3 as the second console are the ones that would make this worthwhile for Sony.

Grimnir

I hate the trend of constantly releasing new models with the same hardware, honestly. Nintendo does it all the time with their DS, not to mention things like Wii-Motion Plus!

I'm still using the original Playstation 3 and I've honestly never really had a problem with the size of it. Now, if they added PS2 backwards compatibility back into it, I would probably sell my fat PS3 and buy a new one, but as they don't seem to be in a hurry to do that, I see no need to change.

Sugarhill

I think there may be a chance for the PS4 to add it back in. I wish they would so I could stop hearing the cries for it. :mrgreen: But, also there should be enough time away from the actual console that it would make good business sense to jump start the migration to the PS4.

Grimnir

I agree, PS4 would be a good time to add the function back in! I can certainly understand their motive to taking it out of the PS3 since they were still making a tidy profit from selling PS2 games and units, I just wish I had managed to snag one of the early units with the compatibility still in. I mistakenly sold my PS2 and there are a few games I'd like to replay, I just don't feel like cluttering my place with even more consoles!

Speaking of the next generation of consoles and the PS4, did anyone here see the tech demo Square-Enix put together for what they thought next gen titles could look like? It was called Agni's Philosophy, you can see the video here. I hope they're right and the next gen DOES look that good! It's absolutely incredible.

ACSAPA

That PS4 Square Enix tech demo does look amazing. But if the PS3 was $599 at launch, how obscene is the price tag going to be on the PS4? Since they raised the bar on what game consoles can cost, what stopping them from making an $900 console?

OmarFW

If what I've heard is correct then this isn't their final push because their consoles won't be coming until possibly 2014. They have quite a while before they have to worry about squeezing the last bit of money out of their consoles, though they've definitely started already.