What of Tumblr as a Social Media Site?

QuatreHiead

So, recently I've been convinced into giving Tumblr a chance as a social media site.

Tumblr is a site where you can quickly and easily browse and share images, notes, videos, and music between people with common or similar interest. You can search a term like "Modern Family" and find several different Tumblr pages devoted to the topic of the popular ABC comedy series.

It is very different than a lot of the things I am used to working with. For starters, I am far more accustomed to having an option of privatizing my site. For Tumblr, perhaps because rarely are people sharing their personal artistry with the world, there isn't a default option. This was probably the most frustrating part for me. I would have to create a profile, then create an additional profile which could then be private if I so chose. Then, it required that I create a password which anyone would have to enter in order to access the private site any time they log in. It seemed too cumbersome and excessive to bother, so I carefully stuck to the public version, as much as it irked me.

However, over time I came to understand in seeing all the various fascinating, beautiful, unique artwork flow through my feed. I admit, this is one of the first sites I got to for a break. It's the first that allows action and sight to do all the talking for you. I've been accustomed to mostly typing and taling interfaces. I realized then that is what made Tumblr so unique. The point was the art, the images, the videos, the music. Not so much all of the other things many other social media sites offer.

So, I'm asking what is your take on this new design for social media? I know as of yet it hasn't ended up impacting our world as intensely in politics and the general public, however is this only a matter of time like in the case of Twitter?

OmarFW

All I've seen people use it for is as a replacement for their old Myspace pages of the days before facebook. They throw up their cluttered HTML dumps of glittery sparkly crap and snobbish gifs from various movies and tv shows that is supposed to serve as some kind of unique self expression but only succeeds at making them look like mindless shallow scrubs.

Aka, it's a dumb site, has no impact on society, and anyone who wants their blog to be taken seriously should use something like Blogger or Wordpress.

dexterlablab1

I have an account for Tumblr. But honestly, I probably won't ever use it. I have a hard enough time maintaining my twitter and facebook accounts. I honestly don't need any more "social" elements.

dexterlablab1

All I've seen people use it for is as a replacement for their old Myspace pages of the days before facebook. They throw up their cluttered HTML dumps of glittery sparkly crap and snobbish gifs from various movies and tv shows that is supposed to serve as some kind of unique self expression but only succeeds at making them look like mindless shallow scrubs.

Aka, it's a dumb site, has no impact on society, and anyone who wants their blog to be taken seriously should use something like Blogger or Wordpress.
Maybe, but from the way it sounds, at the very least, it can be used as a way to increase your traffic. Sort of of the same way as StumbleUpon and Reddit are used.

QuatreHiead

Maybe, but from the way it sounds, at the very least, it can be used as a way to increase your traffic. Sort of of the same way as StumbleUpon and Reddit are used.
Good point there, Tumblr sites do get a lot of easy traffic for reasons like StumbleUpon and Reddit. They are quick and easy, people can take in tons of information and entertain themselves fast. Yes, it can be quite mindless and silly a majority of the time. But all my friends who indulge appear to love it. I enjoy using it for a quick funny fix. If I am starting to feel upset or sad I tend to run there to see something funny and amusing to get me out of my slump. Also, if you follow TV shows or certain characters or actors/actresses this is a great spot for getting personalized and sorted feedback on this. A lot of the time it can seem nearly scary, how it takes "fan-girling" or "fan-boying" to a whole new level.

NewDCD

I must object to the whole "glittery sparkly crap" thing. If you're an artist, tumblr is a great way to branch out as well as gain new followers. Well, that's pretty much the main reason to use tumblr, in my opinion. For artsy stuff.

OmarFW

I must object to the whole "glittery sparkly crap" thing. If you're an artist, tumblr is a great way to branch out as well as gain new followers. Well, that's pretty much the main reason to use tumblr, in my opinion. For artsy stuff.
I was referring to stuff like this. http://that-tardis-is-a-spy.tumblr.com/

I'm sure there's stuff that isn't like this. I just haven't seen it.

QuirkyJessi

I really don't see it as a "social media" site actually. It's a blogging site. So yes, there's a social aspect and people share things, it's still more like Blogger where people can comment and then share/write/post their own things elsewhere. I see Facebook and Twitter as social media sites instead.

QuatreHiead

I really don't see it as a "social media" site actually. It's a blogging site. So yes, there's a social aspect and people share things, it's still more like Blogger where people can comment and then share/write/post their own things elsewhere. I see Facebook and Twitter as social media sites instead.
I do agree that it is more blogging in my opinion too. That makes the most sense. I just know some people approach it as a social media site, but it isn't really that at all. It requires far more up-keep like a blog does. Thanks for this description! Somehow I don't know why blog never occured to me as a way to describe it.

I was referring to stuff like this. http://that-tardis-i...spy.tumblr.com/

I'm sure there's stuff that isn't like this. I just haven't seen it.
Well, even in this instance I don't mind, because those people who actually did those works are getting advertisement basically. Someone is sharing the things that were done. A lot of people really enjoy that! Besides, I've also gotten some excellent baking and recipe ideas from people sharing things back and forth. It's hard to miss things in a way, so I can appreciate that aspect. It's just it's strange to start with, but it does serve a purpose.

I understand how it can be annoying seeing the repeated post of screencaps from TV series over and over again, however if that is the way they want to worship things they like, Tumblr does provide a quick and easy creative outlet to do so.

youredthiswrong

I've never used Tumblr, but a friend of mine does. All she does is post gif images and some phrases and poems. Not my kind of site.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.