Your thoughts on Instagram

youredthiswrong

Most reviews and comments I've read from amateur and professional photographers towards Instagram are negative. They think that, thanks to apps like that, people pretend they're real photographers, while they just own an expensive camera and apply a black and white filter.

I'm not good at photography at all but I do agree with them. It's okay to edit a photo just for fun, but if you try to sell it or promote it as a piece of art, you're nothing but a snobbish moron.

Creaky

Admin
Never used the site personally but seen plenty of photos from there, seems like a decent system.

OmarFW

It's a stupid app used by people who consider themselves artists just because they can take a picture of something surreal and add a sepia tone and depth of field filter over it. Here's a hint: everything looks artsy with those filters. Literally everything.

You don't need an app for that. It's one thing to use an app for photography, it's another to try and pass off cellphone pictures as photography in the first place.

The hipster circle jerk continues.

Epicfied

It gives people a chance to play with filters they never have used or don't have access to.
I've never used it but I know a lot of people who do.
I don't use it because I'm not personally a huge fan but others can.
I've never seen anyone pretend they're a prof. photographer because of it.

mudrock

I wish there was an easier way to view the gallery if you are not a using. I have been using other sites like webstagram to view other peoples full galleries. I do notice that there are hundreds of other gram sites popping up.

NewDCD

I think it's just a fun little app. It's in no way a means of artistic expression, but rather a way to play around with images and have fun with them without actually having to know anything about art. Like OP said, it's good for fun, but you shouldn't go all snobbish on it.

tajnz

I've never used Instagram and don't see what the fuss is about. :shock: Perhaps it's only popular as celebrities have been seen using it like Twitter? There have been websites and applications that have offered photo effects and filters for a long time now. Can anyone care to explain what makes Instagram so special or unique? Perhaps there are some features I'm unaware of. :oops: I was surprised more people didn't get into Picnik, which I felt was a decent free site for people who like to mess around with editing their photographs without any hassle or need for new software.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.